Elementary Strings Program
The LOSD Beginning Strings Program is an after school program for students in grades 4 and 5 during the 2021-2022 school year who have no previous playing experience on an orchestral string instrument. Students will select and learn to play either the violin, viola, cello or upright bass after school in a group format three days per week. When students move up to orchestra in middle and high school, the orchestra class will occur during the school day.
View important program details here: Begin Your Musical Journey!
Calendar Dates for 2021-2022 (link)
- Program begins Tuesday, Sept. 14, 2021
Parent/Student Info nights: (attendance is optional)
- Wed. Sept 1st and Tues. Sept. 7th at Uplands Elementary, 7 PM
- Come and try the instruments and learn about the program!
- If you'd prefer to not come to an in-person meeting, please view recommendations on how to select an instrument by viewing videos on this page:
- Classes will be held 3 days a week:
- Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 3:15-4:15 pm and Thursdays from 2:30-3:30 pm (due to LOSD school early release).
- Students are expected to attend all 3 days.
- Program begins Tuesday, Sept. 14, 2022
- Class location: Uplands
- Bus transportation is provided for all strings students to Uplands Elementary from each elementary school.
- How do students get home after beginning strings class?
- Parent/Guardian pick-up is between 4:15 - 4:25 on T/W, and 3:30 - 3:40 on Thurdays.
- Students Pre-Registered for Extended Day services will be bussed directly from Uplands to their Extended Day site (River Grove or Oak Creek).
- Bus transportation to Extended Day Services after Strings class is provided ONLY to those students Pre-Registered for Extended Day Services at River Grove or Oak Creek.
- Fee: $395 for the 2021-2022 school year.
- Registration will start in mid-August via Community Schools.
- Contact Community Schools for Free/Reduced lunch rate program fees.
- Over 100 classes are held during the year, so this amounts to less than $4 per class!