"13 Reasons Why" Parent Resources
May 17, 2018
The second season of “13 Reasons Why” will launch this Friday, May 18. It is a Netflix show about a teen who died by suicide and the reasons why. You can find the trailer here: https://www.netflix.com/title/80117470
We encourage you to educate yourself about how to talk to your teen about death by suicide. We also encourage you to watch the show with your teen and discuss the episodes.
There has been a great deal of concern. In the past, teens have binge watched the series, without adult support, and then may have experienced a very difficult time. Authorities have seen a spike in suicide attempts in the past.
Here are potential steps for you and your teen:
- We encourage you to speak with your teen before May 18 about Series One. You can find a tip sheet here: https://bit.ly/2xyXfi0
- Here is another resource for talking with your teen about the show: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/13-reasons-why-suicide-how-to-talk-with-your-teen-about-netflix-show/
- The Suicide Prevention Resource Center also has a tip-sheet for parents that is attached to this email.
- Educate yourself. Learn and watch for suicide warning signs which can be found here: http://bit.ly/2FoEt1r and here: https://www.youthsuicidewarningsigns.org/parentscaregivers
- If you notice one or more warning signs, ask R U OK? Do not be afraid to confront your teen about their thoughts and feelings.
- Numerous conversation starters can be found here: http://www.zeroattempts.org/stigma-excerpts.html#excerpts
- Be with your teen, if possible, when they watch each episode for the first time.
- Talk with your teen’s friend’s parents about having a pizza party as a group to watch each episode and then discuss.
- Listen carefully to what your teen has to say.
To find out information about Series Two, go to https://bit.ly/2KJjENd. The depiction of rape, cutting and suicide can be very disturbing for adults, much less children.
Please remember the National Suicide Helpline at 800.273.8255 or text the National Crisis Text Line at 741741 are important resources.