Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
Westridge students are expected to come directly to school and go home by the safest possible route. On their way to and from school, students are to conduct themselves courteously and obey all school and traffic rules.
ARRIVING AT SCHOOL
Westridge students should arrive at school between 8:00 am and 8:10 am. The first bell is at 8:10am. Adult supervision starts at 8:00 am.. Students may not play on the playground or under the covered area prior to school beginning. There is no supervision in these areas.
Once students arrive, we ask that they line up by grade level at their assigned door:
- Kindergarten and first grades line up at their classroom exterior doors
-2nd Grade lines up out front under the covered entrance
-3rd, 4th and 5th grades line up at their classroom exterior door
The safety of the students is the most important goal during drop-off and pick-up. We all have the responsibility to see that every child is safe. In addition, we need to keep traffic moving to facilitate student arrival and dismissal in a timely way. It is imperative that the following rules are observed:
- School buses have first priority. Please defer to bus traffic at all times.
- Parents who drop off along the curb (in front of the bear bench) must stay in their cars. If your child needs help getting out of the car or getting their backpack, a staff member will assist. If your child needs help getting out of their car seat, please park your car. Staff does not help with car seats.
- Please watch for the crossing guards and when they walk out with their stop signs do not go past them. They are here to keep children safe and we must respect their role.
- Do not park on Royce below the school on the right-hand side as you come up the hill. This curb lane is where cars queue up to come through the pick-up line in front of the school. Parked cars slow down this flow.
- Avoid blocking Royce if possible. There are people in the neighborhood who are frustrated by not being able to move up/down the hill. Also, we need to make sure emergency vehicles could get through.
- Respect our neighbors. Please respect the driveways or mailboxes of our neighbors. Follow all traditional DMV setbacks (e.g. 4 feet from a driveway).
- Do not drop off children at the median planter in the parking lot or double-parked on the curb line in front of the bear bench. This causes children to have to pass in front of cars who may not be expecting them or see them.
- Walk, bike or ride the bus to school whenever possible
- Be patient! You are training your child(ren) on how to follow rules and laws by the example you set.
If students arrive or leave school by walking, they should walk with an adult or other students, cross the street only at the pedestrian crosswalks, and go directly to and from school.
The District partners with Student Transportation of America to provide services home and to River Grove Elementary for extended care services. Bus riders are required to follow all bus rules and instructions by the bus driver. Infractions of the bus rules may result in bus referrals issued by the bus driver. The principal will implement consequences on bus referrals issued. Continual infractions of the bus rules may result in the student's loss of bus riding privileges. Although we recommend that students younger than 10 have someone meet them at the bus, Kindergarten students must have an adult or older sibling meet them at the bus stop before they will be allowed off the bus. In the event that your kindergarten student is not met at the stop, the bus driver may make a second attempt. If the driver cannot drop off the kindergarten student to a responsible party, the child will be brought back to Westridge. The contact number for the bus barn is (503) 387-5078.
Students who ride bikes to school are expected to follow all traffic laws and be courteous riders. Use of a helmet is a state law. Students must walk their bicycles at all times while on school grounds, on sidewalks surrounding the perimeter of the school, and when crossing any street. Bicycles must be parked in our student bike rack and locked. Students are to provide their own locks.
SKATEBOARDS, SKATES, ROLLER BLADES AND SCOOTERS
Students may not use skateboards, skates, rollerblades or scooters to, from or at school. Skateboards are not allowed on any school property at any time as per district and city codes. Skateboards, skates, roller blades and scooters brought on campus may be confiscated from students and returned to parents.
DISMISSAL FROM SCHOOL
Dismissal is run by an app we use called PikMyKid (downloadable from the app store). All changes must be made in PikMyKid before 1pm. Please contact the school if you have any questions on how to use your app to delegate a pick-up person or change your child's dismissal plan.
If a child is not picked up in a timely manner (10 minutes after dismissal), every effort will be made to contact you or those persons listed as emergency contact, to pick up your child. There is no supervision provided at Westridge after school.
If you need to pick up your child early from school, please let the teacher know ahead of time (the morning of) via email. When you arrive, the office will call your child down for you. Please give ample time for them to get packed up.
*Please note that teachers instruct until the dismissal bell and students lose valuable instructional time when checked-out early.