District Equity Teams
LOSD is aligning efforts through the following groups in order to strengthen our DEI work. The common goals for all groups include:
- Support creating a safe learning community in which all voices are valued, students and staff have a sense of belonging, and feel connected to each other and to their school.
- Support the district's and schools’ diversity, equity, inclusion, and access efforts.
- Support enhanced focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and access efforts for staff, students, families, and community.
LEAD Team: Leading Equity Action District Team
About: The LEAD team consists of representatives from each Lake Oswego School District building who are committed to equity work within their building, consisting of building administrators, licensed and classified staff. These members attend professional development and help design school-wide programming that addresses issues of equity specific to their buildings. This team meets every other month to discuss events specific to their building and share resources available to purposefully move this work forward.
Purpose: Serve as liaison between DEI-AC and Building Equity Teams, and lead school’s diversity, equity and inclusion efforts.
Scope of Work or Goals: Add how will connect with DEI-AC
- Attend professional development in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion, access, belonging.
- Help organize activities that promote and celebrate diversity, inclusion and multiculturalism (school-wide social gatherings, cultural events, workshops, staff/parent trainings and community conversations)
- Some or all members of LEAD Team attend DEI-AC at least quarterly to align efforts
- Inform teachers and staff of the policies, protocols, plans and practices related to equity and inclusion and assure implementation
- Develop support and mentoring for new teachers of color.
- Help develop and implement a systematic approach to educate, deepen knowledge and enhance competency of all members of LOSD school community.
- Help develop and disseminate a common language to increase school community’s ability to speak fluently about and address issues related to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Help develop “menu” of options in conjunction with central office staff for school equity teams to work on.
School Equity Teams
About: Each school building has put together a team of key stakeholders that vary in combination that may have teachers, staff, administrators, students and parents. These teams address their building’s specific equity goals.
Purpose: Equity teams within each school building will help bring the focus of equity and inclusion to staff, students, families and community.
Scope of Work or Goals:
- Work with school leadership in to create strategies to realize school’s equity goals.
- Address the specific equity and inclusion needs of their school’s staff, students and community proactively and as they arise.
- Develop various learning opportunities within buildings that will include events, trainings, building-wide projects and information nights.
- Provide a place for non-committee members to share suggestions and challenges regarding DEI
- Gather data and assess climate issues/concerns
LOHS Equity Council: https://www.instagram.com/lohsequitycouncil/