We are pleased to be here at Forest Hills Elementary to welcome students and staff back to school today. We expect it to be a day filled with care and compassion for one another and positive experiences.
It feels like a lifetime ago when I first learned that Oregon’s first case of COVID-19 was an employee in Lake Oswego School District. Upon first hearing the news, our leadership, teachers and staff pulled together immediately to help ensure the safety and well-being of our community.
- We have dedicated resources to cleaning and disinfecting all surfaces in all our schools.
- We have reinforced and provided support for hygiene and health practices.
- We have begun developing contingency plans for potential online learning.
- We have committed to providing consistent, clear and timely communication to address questions.
- And, throughout it all, we have tried to remain forthright and calm. We are grateful for the partnership with Clackamas County and Oregon Health Authorities who have supported us all along the way with steadfast guidance and counsel.
Throughout this journey our hearts and minds have remained with our staff member, a beloved member of our community, who tested positive with the coronavirus. We wish for a swift recovery so that we may welcome this person back to Forest Hills soon.
At this time we have not seen any new cases of COVID-19. We don’t know if we’ve seen the last of COVID-19, and we are committed to staying on top of any new developments on behalf of our community. I believe we have become stronger because of this experience, and I am confident that our community will continue to work together for the best outcome for students, staff and families.