BOARD APPOINTED COMMITTEE ON DIVERSITY EQUITY AND INCLUSION (April 3, 2018)
Background: Issues of diversity, equity and inclusion are the top priority for the Lake Oswego School District as identified as Goal 1 of the Strategic Plan. The community should be leveraged as an ally in this work.
The Lake Oswego School Board will create a standing committee focused on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. Committee membership will be offered, but not limited to, representation by the student body, representative of the teaching faculty, representative of the classified employees, representatives of the district administration, parent representation and community representatives.
The district currently has an Equity Leadership Team and will appoint additional members to have comprehensive representation.
The committee will provide a platform for the community to come together to assemble recommendations for the LO School Board to develop and adopt a Five Year Equity Plan for the LO Public Schools.
Elements that should be considered for the plan may include:
- Examine data and best practices from peer school districts
- Audit district policies with an equity lens
- Assess and recommend consistent policies regarding diversity, equity and inclusion
- Assess and highlight best practices for embedding equity into curriculum and practice
- Highlight and award community members, students, or staff who are doing exceptional work in these efforts
- Provide engaging partnerships with the community
- Assess strategy for staff hiring and on-boarding through an equity lens