Renovation Work Under Way at Hallinan
Hallinan Renovation Update - September 6 - 12, 2020
September 6 - 12
- Concrete work has begun on the planter and outdoor classroom
- Sidewalks and main entry concrete have been poured
- Classroom painting is nearing completion
- Tape and texture in the common area is nearing completion
- Roof work is still underway
- Boilers have arrived and are being installed
- Piping connections are continuing
- Window frames and glazing are being installed
- Storefront frames and glazing are being installed
- Entry canopy framing is nearing completion
- Lights and electrical trim are being installed
- Technology upgrades are being installed with upgraded cabling and additional wireless access points
- Exterior work has been impacted by smoke and hazardous air conditions due to the fires across Oregon. Some critical trades are being short staffed due to evacuations and air quality. Local City officials have been unable to perform timely inspections
- Storefront doors have arrived and are being installed
- Common area restroom tile has been ordered and will not arrive until middle of September; other restrooms are nearing completion
- Makerspace folding door is not expected to arrive until October
Hallinan Elementary Renovation (updated March 2020)
Bond Team for this project includes:
Tony Vandenberg, Executive Director of Project Management
Debbie Hansen, Project Coordinator
Soderstrom Architects – Design Team
The Hallinan Elementary Renovation Project will bring significant improvements to the forty-year-old facility, preparing it to continue serving the district for forty more years. Along with safety and security improvements, classroom technology improvements, and seismic and infrastructure improvements, key design elements include a new Innovation Lab (makerspace) and a redesigned library at the heart of the school.
Safety & Security Improvements will include:
- access control system
- security camera system
- upgrades to communication system
New classroom technology will include:
- large-screen video monitors and Apple TV
- Lightspeed audio enhancement systems
Seismic Improvements will bring the entire school up to Seismic Level 3 for safe egress and the gymnasium to Seismic Level 4 for immediate occupancy after a significant seismic event.
- new roof
- new thermally efficient windows
- updates to the HVAC
- updates to control and electrical systems
The Innovation Lab will be housed in an addition to the school.
The library renovation will serve to re-energize the heart of the school.
This project is continuing to keep pace on or ahead of our original schedule. With assurance from the Lake Oswego Building Department that we will receive our full permit for construction in March, we will be able to schedule some limited early work on the exterior of the building. This will provide us with a strong leg up on the summer construction schedule.
After working closely with Soderstrom Architects to develop the detailed design for this renovation and seeing the quality of their plans and associated construction documents, we are taking advantage of Soderstrom's thoroughness by electing to change our project delivery method from CM/GC to Stipulated Sum. We released an Invitation to Bid (ITB) on January 31 for General Contractors. The project's ITB has attracted a number of strong GC firms; we received their bids on February 27.